The first thing that anyone needs to know before deciding to handle their own black mold removal is that it is toxic. There are many safety precautions that you must take before trying to clean it yourself. This is one type of mold that you won’t want to go scrubbing at blindly; you need to be careful. If you aren’t careful, the mold can get into your lungs and cause awful respiratory problems.
To remain safe during the removal process, be sure that the room around the mold is well ventilated. Do not attempt to remove mold in a closed off room with little to no ventilation. Crack open a door or a window so the substance does not become concentrated in the air of the room it’s in.
Once you are certain that the room has enough air, next you will want to equip yourself with gloves and a gas mask of some form. Be very careful not to get the mold on your skin, because it can transfer into the mouth and cause harm. If you get any mold on your body, wash it off thoroughly with hot water and a powerful soap.
Next up, have the right removal chemicals for this task. Most people can use diluted bleach on smaller coverings of black mold, but when it comes to wide spaces and a more developed mold, you will want to arm yourself with an industrial quality black mold remover. Use it carefully, as the chemicals in this black mold remover can also be harmful if ingested or breathed in directly for a long enough span of time.
Consulting a professional is also a good idea. Find someone who really knows a lot about black mold and how to get rid of it. It never hurts to ask for a second opinion, and sometimes the advice is helpful. A good dehumidifier might help as well.
The most important safety measure you can take, however, is to have someone there with you. It could be a friend, relative, or spouse, but make sure that whoever it is can get a hold of an ambulance if necessary. If no one is around, and you have lost consciousness, things could end very badly.